Are you passionate about systems change and finding ways to address the most pressing issues of our time? Are you a highly organized and proactive person looking to gain experience in leadership, storytelling, and systems change work?
One Project is looking for a Communications Assistant to join our team. You’ll work closely with and support our Communications and Strategy Lead, Amy O’Leary, providing administrative support and coordination across a variety of projects. Ideal candidates will be adept at juggling multiple tasks and deadlines, with the ability to create and manage organizational systems to keep themselves and others organized. They will be able to anticipate needs and pivot quickly when new information or needs arise. This is a great entry-level role for an ambitious future-leader with the opportunity for deep mentorship and growth, in a groundbreaking organization doing impactful work.
Who We Are:
One Project is a team who believes in a future that is free, fair, and flourishing for all.
Together with communities who are inspired to break away from failed and oppressive economic systems, our work is to help the world imagine what comes after capitalism, then foster the collaborations needed to create it. We work both as an operating non-profit and a giving foundation, to support this work and the wider ecosystem in which it may thrive.
But it starts with a vision. Let’s begin with the radical notion that all human beings on the planet can have enough food, shelter, health care, access to information and education, meaningful work, and the general conditions to lead a satisfying life of their choosing, rooted in equity and justice for all. And, crucially, we believe this can happen as the natural world regenerates, making wildlife more abundant, the climate more stable, the air and water cleaner, and ecosystems more self-sustaining. While this may sound naive or idealistic, we believe that humanity can achieve this within our lifetimes. In fact, we must at least move substantially in this direction before the interwoven threats of ecological destruction, social instability, and unaccountable technology threaten to end civilization as we know it.
What we cannot do, however, is get there by relying on the same systems that have, over the last 50 years, increased resource use to almost twice what the Earth can support while leaving billions of people living just barely above subsistence level and global existential risks unaddressed. We believe it’s time to address the root causes of these crises, before their symptoms overwhelm our planet and all of us.
That is why One Project’s mission exists. We do this work in solidarity with people around the world who are rising, to fight, to build and to dream, and as part of a much wider movement — a movement that today goes by many names. We find inspiration in those working among the solidarity economy, mutual aid, cooperatives, commoning, participatory democracy, and in broader movements for equality and justice around the world. In the words of the Zapatistas, the future we seek is “un mundo donde quepan muchos mundos” — one world where many worlds fit.
It’s in this space between crisis and opportunity, through cooperation, imagination, solidarity and practicality, we believe another world is truly possible, and it is what we are working for, together, at One Project.
What You’ll Do:
- Support the Communications & Strategy lead with a wide range of administrative and operational tasks, including calendar and email management
- Coordinate, draft, edit, and proofread presentations and documents
- Research, collect, and analyze information related to exciting narrative projects and new initiatives
- Partner with team members across the organization and communicate regularly to ensure transparency and ensure shared expectations across stakeholders
- Manage and lead special projects, commensurate with the abilities and potential you demonstrate. The role has much room to grow into exciting possibilities!
You may be the candidate we’re looking for if you bring:
- Excellent organizational and project management skills; you get things done fast.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills; demonstrated interest in communications is a plus (i.e., previous work experience, area of study, etc.)
- You know when to ask for clear instructions, and when to figure things out on your own.
- Proactivity, a commitment to high quality work, and timely follow through.
- A strong desire and personal passion to work on social justice, ecological crisis, or other pressing issues of our time.
- Experience and understanding of how to use technology to organize oneself and others; Proficiency with Google Suite; Keynote or Powerpoint preferred, Asana experience a plus.
- A collaborative mindset with an ability to relate to others and develop sound relationships.
- You’re hungry to grow and succeed in your career. You’re eager to grow in mentorship under an accomplished leader invested in your career beyond this role.
We seek One Project team members who approach their work with:
- Clear thinking and communication skills
- Creativity with problem solving and collaboration
- Ability to work independently and efficiently along with the capability to integrate diverse cognitive styles and cultural backgrounds
- A mind open to new ideas and ways of considering the world and curiosity about how to build better systems
- Comfort with ambiguity and a dynamic environment coupled with ability to drive towards clarity and action
- Interest and drive to grow in your position and the organization
Working at One Project:
One Project strives to be a place where a diverse mix of talented people are empowered to bring their full, authentic selves to do their best work. Our goal is to build a team that reflects the world we live in and celebrates multiple approaches and points of view. We believe diversity drives innovation and every idea deserves consideration and respect. We have an unwavering commitment to inclusion across educational background, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, age, citizenship, socioeconomic status, disability, and veteran status.
The starting salary for this role is $60,000. One Project offers competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits; our goal is for our compensation packages to attract the strongest candidates and to reflect our values.
How to Apply:
Please submit your resume below. As part of the application process, we’re asking candidates to answer a few written questions in place of a cover letter. Your answers will help us get to know you better and hopefully give you a chance to better understand what we are looking for in candidates.
What You Can Expect from Our Hiring Process:
We are interested in engaging with a number of different people (candidates and connectors) as we conduct this search, and we will review applications on a rolling basis.
Once you have submitted your application, you will receive an automated confirmation. If you are selected for an interview, we aim to reach out to you within 2 weeks of submitting your application.
We strive to have an inclusive hiring process. We want to get to know you and may ask to review examples of your work in addition to inviting you to participate in interviews. We respect and value your time, and we will do our best to streamline the interviews while allowing you time to get to know our organization and team. Our process may include:
- An initial phone or video interview
- A second video interview with our Communication & Strategy Lead
- A short interview assignment (candidates will be compensated for their time and work)
- Reference checks
Our goal is to build a team that reflects the world we live in and celebrates multiple approaches and points of view.
We seek One Project team members who bring:
Clear thinking and communication skills
Ability to work independently and efficiently
Creativity in problem solving and collaboration
Ability to integrate diverse cognitive styles and cultural backgrounds
Ability to create clarity and action from ambiguity
Interest and drive to grow in your position and the organization
A mind open to new ideas and ways of considering the world; curiosity about how to build a better system
Salary and Benefits
One Project offers competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits; we want our compensation packages to attract the strongest candidates and to reflect our values. Our benefits include:
Health, Dental and Vision Insurance
100% coverage for employee plans;
75% coverage for family plans (spouses, domestic partners, and dependents)
16 weeks of paid leave for the birth or adoption of a child
Unlimited Paid Time Off, 10 National (USA) Holidays, December holiday break, Sabbaticals
Retirement Plan and Match
403b Retirement Plan; One Project contributes a 50% match for up to 6% of salary for all employees
Flexible Work Environment
Work remotely; weekly no meeting days
Office Equipment, Wellness, and Professional Development Stipends
Apply for the role
Apply for this role if you think you'll be a good fit.
View all current opportunities
We're are constantly growing and building our team.